- I would like more information about DCOIC. Is there any other source for reliable information?
- What does our diet consist of while at Officer Training Command?
- You will be required to eat in the Ney Hall dining facility for every meal while you are here. You will only be eating three times a day. Food is not allowed in the barracks. The galley has an adequate selection of food, which includes a salad and fruit bar, along with a variety of proteins and vegetables. They also provide vegetarian options, but are not as robust as the main service.
- Should I bring civilian clothes?
- Yes. You will have the opportunity to wear civilian clothes.
- What kind of expenses will I incur while at DCO?
You will incur meal expenses, which will run approx. $12 per day. Some other items will be:
- Company T-Shirts/Sweatshirts. Each company usually designs and orders a shirt. These range from $15-$25 each.
- Company Dinner. The company usually goes out the last week, which is a less formal event. This ranges from $20-$40 per person.
- Uniform accessories. Throughout training you will probably need items to maintain your uniform. Prices can vary depending on the item(s) needed.
- Miscellaneous Supplies such as cleaning supplies to help maintain your barracks beyond that which Officer Training Command provides. Students report spending around $30-$40 a piece on items in this category.
- Any other expense will be on the individual. There is a Navy Exchange on the base, along with other MWR services.
- What kinds of hairstyles are authorized for women? Will I have time to groom my hair on a daily basis?
- Can I bring an MP3 player?
- Can I bring my cell phone?
- Yes. You will not be able to use it during the work day, but you will have access to it after working hours.
- Can I bring my laptop computer?
- Yes. Please be advised we do not have wireless internet capability. Also, there are computers available for you to use at the command.
- Do I need to buy my uniform items prior to DCO, or will we purchase them there?
- You do not need to purchase any uniforms prior to reporting to DCO as you will have an opportunity to go to the Uniform Shop and purchase them on the first day. However, to save time please bring the uniforms that you have or can purchase before your arrival. Alteration and dry cleaning services will be available during your stay.
- Can I bring over-the-counter medications such as Tylenol, Motrin?
- Yes, but they must be in the original bottles.
- Who do I contact if I have a problem arriving at base?
- Contact the Class Officer via the contact link or call the Command Duty Officer at 401-862-4321.
- Can females wear make-up during training?
- Yes, your class team will determine when this will start.
- What uniform do I report in?
- DCO Students shall report in business casual attire, (slacks/skirt, shirt with collar/blouse)
- Where will I live while attending DCO?
- All OTC students will be staying in King Hall. Rooms house two students with beds, bedding, trash cans, study tables, and a wall locker with drawers. Communal heads and laundry facilities are available for all students. Students will be expected to clean their rooms and the common passageway, laundry room, and other common areas. Also, you can expect to participate in weekly cleaning assignments and room inspections.
- Rooms have very limited storage space. Pillows, bedding, and linens are provided. Bring washcloths, towels, toiletries, and a padlock for your wall locker (a combination closet and chest-of-drawers), where your personal possessions can be stored.
- What will be my mailing address for DCO?
DCO (CLASS #)
OFFICER TRAINING COMMAND NEWPORT
1356 Meyerkord Avenue
Newport, RI 02841-1641
- My question is not listed above?
- Refer to the contact us page for assistance.
- Can I obtain my Khaki Officer photo while at OTCN?
- Yes, Per MPM 1070-180, you may obtain your Officer Photograph while at OTCN. Times and dates will be posted upon your arrival. Speak with your Class Officer about times that are available upon your arrival.
- Can I report on Saturday?
- Yes, there will be available berthing on Saturday in King Hall.
- What time should I schedule my flight on Friday after administrative out-processing?
- Out-processing is usually completed by 1200 so flights should be scheduled after 1400 to ensure enough travel time to get to the airport.
Food and alcoholic beverages are not authorized in student quarters. You will be required to eat at the mess hall located in Ney Hall. Your approximate daily cost for meals will be $12. You must be in the prescribed uniform of the day during normal working hours and during on-base liberty.
- All students are required to live in King Hall and share a room with another student of the same sex.
- No tobacco use is permitted in training country (OTC Grounds).
- Personal laptops cannot access the internet via the Navy Infrastructure at OTC and does not support the use of this equipment.
- Personal laptops are permitted for word-processing, but they must be secured and stowed in your personal locker.